[Taxacom] iSpecies

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 11:16:46 CST 2016

This sort of thing is good for finding what's out there, but what's out
there may be garbage - how can we balance this with adequate attention to
and support of the basic data generation and checking?  Too much
digitization is "look, our whole collection is online" and no attention to
"but 60% of the online data is flawed or worthless because the people
entering the data didn't know anything about spotting errors and no one
checked it".  (60% is based on the one case I know of when someone
carefully examined a major collection digitization - as a curator, not
getting any of the funds allocated to the digitization, and being
admonished for holding up the release of the data.  No, it wasn't me doing
that.)

--
Dr. David Campbell
Assistant Professor, Geology