[Taxacom] Zoologist Philippi in the Med

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Jul 5 19:00:43 CDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

Rudolphus Amandus Philippi, 1808 – 1904

I am looking for information on where Philippi was based when he moved
from Germany to the Mediterranean. Later he moved to Chile. He wrote on
Sicilian Mollusca and also a Handbuch der Conchyliologie und
Malacozoologie (1853), in there stating he was Member of the Academy
Sciences of Naples, Turin, but giving his then address (Oct 1851) as on
board the brig Bonito, off Cape Horn.

He wrote an article on serpulid tubeworms of the Mediterranean, but gives
no locations. I guess Naples is most likely where he was based, but
guessing is not good enough & some further info would be useful.

Thanks,

Geoff

--
Geoffrey B. Read, Ph.D.