[Taxacom] What is Garsault's (1764) Noctua caprimulgus today?

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 22:45:34 CDT 2016

Dear Taxacomers,

I was revisiting some old Taxacom discussion regarding species-level
homonyms and came upon the following pair of names supplied by Francisco
Welter-Schultes back in 2010:

from http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom/2010-November/034607.html
---

Noctua caprimulgus  Garsault, 1764  (Aves)
Noctua caprimulgus  Fabricius, 1775  (Lepidoptera)

---

Noctua Linnaeus, 1767 in Lepidoptera is currently the valid genus (as per
Noctuidae), Noctua Linnaeus, 1766 in Aves (Strigidae) not. So I was
wondering what the current name for Garsault's Noctua caprimulgus in Aves
might be today? Internet searching has not got me anywhere thus far, but
the original description is online via BHL at

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/33607528

Someone with good French might be able to cast light on the species in
question via the common name or description in the original work, maybe?

Also an apparent inconsistency - Garsault's work dates from 1764 yet the
Linnaean bird genus post-dates this. Any advice welcome.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees