[Taxacom] What is Garsault's (1764) Noctua caprimulgus today?

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 05:25:44 CDT 2016

After "Noctua caprimulgus" the original work says "Fresaie tête-chèvre,
Crapaud volant". The first of these seems to translate as "goat headed
screech owl" and tête-chèvre also cited as "Synonyme d'engoulevent
d'Europe" (https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/t%C3%AAte-ch%C3%A8vre) - the
latter is translateable as the European nightjar, Eurasian nightjar or just
nightjar, Caprimulgus europaeus; Crapaud volant translates to "Flying
toad"...

So I guess Quentin's reading is correct, thanks...

My inclination is to treat this instance of Noctua as attributable to
Garsualt, 1764, as does AnimalBase, and potentially different from Noctua
Linnaeus, 1766 in Strigidae (publication cited as "*Amoen. Acad., 7, 450.*"
[Amoenitates academicae
<http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/910>]), although maybe
they share the same basis? The relevant page is at
http://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/1485854 and the reference is to "Noctua
Daurica p. 363" apparently in some other work (thesis?)... Some extra info
from AnimalBase here:

http://www.animalbase.uni-goettingen.de/zooweb/servlet/AnimalBase/home/genustaxon?id=2213

Any further insights welcome...

Regards - Tony