[Taxacom] What is Garsault's (1764) Noctua caprimulgus today?

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Sun Jul 17 11:46:14 CDT 2016

 From the description, clearly Caprimulgus europeaeus.

But I completely fail to understand how Garsault can be regarded as
remotely binominal.
(His Latin names are clearly but Latin equivalents of his French names.
None of them, be them uninominal or not, appears to denote a
supraspecific entity. Quite a few of his uninominals denote, undoubtedly
deliberately, the male and the female of the same species - Bos/Vacca,
Hircus/Capra, Cervus/Cerva, Aries/Ovis, Homo/Mulier, hence are
infrasubspecific and certainly not generic...)

Cheers,
Laurent -