[Taxacom] What is Garsault's (1764) Noctua caprimulgus today?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Mon Jul 18 02:09:09 CDT 2016

FWIW, I agree with the identification.

Two points:
1) under the zoological Code, such names are not
homonyms, although they would be under the ICNafp.
2) However, this particular situation would not occur
under the ICNafp, as this publication by Garsault is
listed as a suppressed work, and thus any 'name' in
this work (at the rank of species and below) does not
exist (for the purposes of the ICNafp).

Paul