[Taxacom] What is Garsault's (1764) Noctua caprimulgus today?

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:26:00 CDT 2016

Dear all,

I found the following references on the web (which I have not yet
investigated except for the third one) that may shed some more light on
this, and appear to treat Garsault's names (or at least some of them) as
available, so maybe it is not an open-and-shut case:

Welter-Schultes, F. W., Klug, R. & Lutze, A. (2008) Les figures des plantes
et animaux d’usage en médecine, a rare work published by F. A. P. de
Garsault in 1764. Archives of natural History, 35 (1), 118–127.

Welter-Schultes, F. W. & Klug, R. (2009) Nomenclatural consequences
resulting from the rediscovery of Les figures des plantes et animaux
d'usage en medicine, a rare work published by Garsault in 1764, in the
zoological literature. Bulletin of zoological Nomenclature, 66 (3), 225–241.

ALAIN DUBOIS & ROGER BOUR, 2010. The nomenclatural status of the nomina of
amphibians and reptiles created by Garsault (1764), with a parsimonious
solution to an old nomenclatural problem regarding the genus Bufo
(Amphibia, Anura), comments on the taxonomy of this genus, and comments on
some nomina created by Laurenti (1768). Zootaxa 2447: 1–52

The last of these is available online at
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alain_Dubois/publication/283874107_The_nomenclatural_status_of_the_nomina_of_amphibians_and_reptiles_created_by_Garsault_1764_with_a_parsimonious_solution_to_an_old_nomenclatural_problem_regarding_the_genus_Bufo_Amphibia_Anura_comments/links/567a79ba08aeaa48fa4c3f4a.pdf

Further advice appreciated...

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees