[Taxacom] IRMNG is moving...

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:06:01 CDT 2016

On 21 July 2016 at 12:59, Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> I wonder if all those alleged homonyms have been verified for availability
> according to the Code? If a name is not available, then it cannot enter
> into homonymy.
>
> Cheers, Stephen
>

> Answer: no, they have not all been verified for availability but many will
be so. So yes, the list(s) contain a mix of names that are true homonyms
and those that are merely spelled the same, as well as cross-code homonyms
("hemihomonyms" of some authors) that have been discussed earlier on
Taxacom (around 2010). However they are indications that the same name has
been used for more than one taxon which is of certain practical value for
name resolution purposes.

I cannot remember at this time (but would have to check) whether or not
misspelled names that then collide with correctly spelled names for other
taxa make it to the list. Obviously on a utility basis one could make a
case either way, so long as their orthographic status is noted...

Regards - Tony