[Taxacom] IRMNG is moving...

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 05:59:32 CDT 2016

Homonyms, hemihomonyms, and misspellings commonly pose problems for many
existing taxonomic databases, so documenting them remains quite important.
Automated mergers of data from other lists may combine homonyms, for
example (sometimes while blaming the sources for errors generated by the
compiling), crowdsourced data entry may confuse homonyms despite the
database having disambiguation, and uncritical users may not check the
data.  A combination of the last two (with misspelling involved in the
apparent homonym) led one molecular clock calibration I know of to be about
200 million too old.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Assistant Professor, Geology