[Taxacom] ARK vs DOI

Andrew Novikoff novikoffav at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:34:26 CDT 2016

Dear taxacomers,
I wonder if somebody can explain me strong difference between DOIs and ARKs
identifiers? As I understand ARKs are absolutelly free and are analogs of
DOIs. However, ARKs mostly are used for nonpublishing purposes (i.e. museum
collections, libraries etc.) but as I suppose they can be also applied for
articles. Is there any example of journal which apply ARKs? This question
is very important for us, because we are publishing Modern Phytomorphology
journal and have very limited budget. We just have no money to buy DOIs and
probably ARKs could be a good alternative for us.

Thank you in advance for any information!

Andrew.

JRS  Andrew V. Novikoff
State Natural History Museum NAS of Ukraine <http://www.smnh.org/ua/>

Executive Editor