[Taxacom] IRMNG is moving...

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 20:24:22 CDT 2016

Dear Taxacomers,

After 10 years of hosting by my (now former) host agency, CSIRO Marine
Laboratories in Hobart, Australia, my IRMNG (Interim Register of
Marine and Nonmarine Genera) data system is on the move and will in
future be hosted by VLIZ, the Flanders Marine Institute in Belgium,
thanks to a successful offer made by Francisco (Tjess) Hernandez on
behalf of the VLIZ Data Management Team in 2014.

For those who may not know, I built IRMNG over the past 10 years to
solve a problem articulated by OBIS, the Ocean Biogeographic
Information system, who wanted to know which species names associated
with incoming data were marine and which were not, also which were
extant and not fossil. I figured that without a complete species list
for all biota (then non-existent and still only partly complete) this
would be too hard to do for "all species", but might be possible for
"all genera" - a task I thought might be completed with (say) 6 months
effort back in 2006. Well, 10 years later it is still in progress,
though a lot more complete than when I started(!) - IRMNG currently
holds around 485,000 genus names out of an estimated 500,000 ever
published, covering zoology, botany, prokaryotes and viruses, and is
being continually updated with additional names as well as relevant
habitat and extant/fossil flags. IRMNG also holds species lists for
around 50% of genera but in general less effort has been put in to
acquire all the species as yet (but we may update more of these from
other sources over time).

In the new version of IRMNG there is upgraded content (9,000
zoological genus names added since 2014, most from the period
2008-2014 approx), a range of upgrades to family assignment for
unassigned genera, record-level links (for around 150,000 genera and
150,000 species) to original publication info in BioNames and ION,
plus ongoing minor fixes and improvements to individual records. With
the move to VLIZ we add around 300,000 record-level links to the World
Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), a new web interface supported by
the VLIZ team (also responsible for WoRMS and related systems sharing
the same platform), facility to flag taxa as "freshwater" and
"terrestrial' rather than just "nonmarine", improved reference
handling and quite a bit more.

Official announcement of this move will be within the next few weeks
but in the mean time you are invited to check out the new version of
the database at its new location, www.irmng.org .

My thanks to the VLIZ data management team for facilitating this
transfer and for their new role in the continued hosting and editing
arrangements for IRMNG from here on.

Regards to all - Tony

--
Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia