[Taxacom] PhD position at the Botanical Garden of Geneva, Switzerland

Laurent.Gautier at ville-ge.ch Laurent.Gautier at ville-ge.ch
Fri May 6 07:41:11 CDT 2016

PhD position at the Botanical Garden of Geneva, Switzerland
Systematics, species delimitation and conservation in a Madagascar endemic
genus of Sapotaceae

We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for a PhD project at the Plant
Systematics and Biodiversity Laboratory, Conservatoire & Jardin botanique
de Genève and University of Geneva, Switzerland. The project is supported
by the Swiss National Science Foundation for three years (2016-2019) and
includes species delimitation, phylogenomic diversity and species
distribution modelling and their application to the conservation of
Capurodendron, an endemic genus of ca. 30 species of valuable trees in the
family Sapotaceae.

The ideal candidates should be a botanist who enjoys working in the
laboratory (targeted gene capture) as well as in the field (at least one
trip scheduled to Madagascar), and should have good basic knowledge of
taxonomy, phylogenetics, population genetics and bioinformatics. We are
particularly interested in students that already have experience with Next
Generation Sequencing techniques. Good writing skills in English is a must
and familiarity with French is a plus.

Applications (motivation letter, CV, email address of 2/3 reference
persons) should be sent before May 30th, 2016 to: Yamama Naciri (
yamama.naciri at ville-ge.ch / yamama.naciri at unige.ch).

Project starting October 2016.