[Taxacom] Postdoc position in Solanaceae Systematics

Lynn Bohs bohs at biology.utah.edu
Fri May 6 15:49:00 CDT 2016

Dear Taxacom,
	A postdoc position in Solanaceae systematics is available at the University of Utah.

A NSF-funded postdoctoral position at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City is available in the area of plant systematics. The project focuses on the systematics and phylogeny of the genera Capsicum and Lycianthes in the Solanaceae. Capsicum is a New World genus of about 40 species that includes the bell, chili, and paprika peppers. Lycianthes is its sister genus, with ca. 200 species distributed in Asia and throughout the Neotropics. The project will examine the species level taxonomy of these genera and distribute monographic information on our Solanaceae Source webpage (solanaceaesource.org). We will also use next-generation sequencing techniques to generate phylogenies for the group and its component clades. This project will provide opportunities for field work, student mentoring, public outreach, and collaboration with our partner institution at the University of California-Davis.

Candidates should have a Ph.D. and experience in plant systematics; experience with Solanaceae is preferred but not required. Expertise in molecular phylogenetics and data analysis is also required and familiarity with next-gen methods is a plus. The position is available immediately; review of applications will begin on May 15, 2016 and continue until the position is filled. The initial appointment is for one year, renewable for a second year upon mutual agreement and satisfactory progress.

Applicants should submit a statement of interest and description of past experience, a CV, and contact information of three references to Lynn Bohs (bohs at biology.utah.edu).

Information on the Biology Department at the University of Utah is available at www.biology.utah.edu The University of Utah is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Lynn Bohs
Biology Department