[Taxacom] (no subject)

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Mon May 16 00:47:52 CDT 2016

Hi Margaret,

The '-ops is masculine' exception laid down in the Code is a little
puzzling.  In the 1964 second edition of the Code the example in Article
30 states names ending in -ops derived from  ὤψ for face or
eye, "of which the usual classical gender is *masculine* <my emphasis> are
to be treated as masculine unless the author indicated otherwise or
unless, failing such indication, zoologists have generally treated them as
feminine."  However, as you say, ops as used for eye or face is feminine
in certain dictionaries, which seems in conflict with the above claim.
Presumably those who wrote that 1964 Code thought it could be variable in
gender in classical use, but mostly masculine. Were they wrong?  I have no
idea.

However, I mention the above to show that the Code has been consistent
since at least 1964, or for over fifty years, that '-ops' is to be treated
as masculine.  This is in accord with the original author's preference
back in 1855.  Unfortunately taxonomists tend to 'follow the last guy'
rather than actually read the Code.

Geoff Read