[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon May 9 17:43:05 CDT 2016

Hi Cris,
Judging from the off-list replies, this issue would seem to be a "sensitive" one, with all who replied in full agreement with me, yet not prepared to say so publicly. So far, it seems like only dipterists have taken notice, but the taxonomic issue are, of course, quite general. It is odd that nobody is forcing anyone to describe new species from photos, yet Santos et al. seem to want to impose a ban on anyone doing it! There are certain parallels with homophobia! As for the photo faking argument, I think you may have slightly misunderstood their point? Yes, drawings and verbal descriptions can also be faked, possibly even easier than faking photos, but their point was that a preserved type specimen is there to be checked against descriptions and illustrations, which cannot be done if all that you have are photos. This is true, but in practice a determined faker would have many options regardless. They could deliberately damage or even destroy the holotype, and the availability of the new name would be unaffected, with only the description and illustrations left to use for ID. They could refuse access to the holotype if they also had control of the type repository, or they could simply stay quiet and hope that nobody bothered to check. So, while the lack of a checkable specimen is one reason against description from photo only, it needs to be weighed against reasons for. Also, a specimen and even species is only as good as the associated data, and collecting data is very easy to fake, with little or no way to confirm. So the possibility of faking photos doesn't really introduce anything new.
Cheers,
Stephen