[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue May 10 11:36:16 CDT 2016

At least a few Commissioners, myself included, communicated with one or
more of the co-authors of this paper when it came out, and pointed out
the errors to them, but as far as I am aware, they have yet to
acknowledge any errors. They most certainly did not include any
Commissioners among the referees of the paper prior to publication. The
Commission is also looking into the possibility of issuing a "position
paper" of our own.

On 5/9/16 10:46 PM, John Grehan wrote:
> Yes, by all means
> challenge problems you see, but don't expect them to ever go way (unless
> one day there will be "intelligent" computers that will assess all papers
> and be able to cross reference every nuance and combination of rules to
> provide the perfect kind of evaluation you and everyone else might wish
> for).
This does not require computers. It requires a different mechanism for
review; open public review. Having hundreds of taxonomists reading every
paper before they are accepted would go a very, very long way to
alleviating all of the shoddy practices that concern us. Critical review
can easily be circumvented at present, but we have the option of making
that impossible. There is no technical challenge, only a societal one.

Sincerely,