[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue May 10 16:53:43 CDT 2016

Interesting comments from Doug. I would just like to add that the obvious best thing that the ICZN could do is to issue a formal clarification of the Code in relation to the issue of holotypes designated by way of photographs/the absence of a preserved holotype. Although the phrase "extant specimen" in Art. 16.4 clearly does not mean anything remotely similar to "extant species", contra Santos et al., it is not completely clear how to apply the Code in practice (i.e. it is a bit vague).

I also agree 100% with Doug's comment in reply to Cris that [to paraphrase somewhat] science desperately needs open and unrestricted peer review, both pre- and postpublication. Obstructing valid criticism is an all too common strategy these days.

Cheers, Stephen