[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue May 10 17:30:07 CDT 2016

Cris said: "I also think there is a troubling political side to this case. All 14 authors are from the same mega-diverse country"

My reply: Yes, I think you are correct that there is a troubling political side to this case, but nothing to do with Brazil. In BZN 73(1)(2016), there is another hard-hitting critique of the controversial new fly description, this time by three Swiss (Switzerland not being particularly "mega-dicerse"!), who appear to have a similar agenda, though they conduct their criticisms somewhat more collegially. Reading between the lines, I detect two possible underlying concerns which may be motivating the reaction against holotypes designated via photos:

(1) This might endanger continued funding to museums which look after type specimens; and

(2) This might encourage amateurs to describe new taxa.

Well, I'm not sure what I think about (1). I don't think that it is a big deal. Instead of insisting upon a global ban of description from photos, one might better lobby to the effect that description by specimen is better, which I don't think anyone denies! Also, I very much doubt that funding responds in such a simple way to single factors influencing how taxonomy is carried out in practice.

As for (2), it COULD BE a good thing! It all depends on whether or not the taxonomy is done adequately. It is way too simple to think that all and only professional taxonomists can do taxonomy adequately. I suspect that it really has more to do with control. Traditional professional taxonomists just can't handle the thought of losing control over who can do taxonomy, and who can have access to types, etc.

The most important thing is that arguments for or against are based on good reasons, not misinterpretations/manipulations, etc. Even the BZN article misrepresents the disadvantages of photos. Their same argument could be just as easily applied to argue against the description of new taxa from fossils or non-perfect specimens in some way. A determined faker, as I already pointed out, is by no means limited to photographic manipulation!

And there is also the issue of peer review: again I ask how 14 authors, at least 2 reviewers and an editorial team for a supposedly good journal all managed to let such basic errors slip through?!

Cheers, Stephen