[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:36:03 CDT 2016

Although I agree with some of Morphy et al´s  sentiments regarding
potential issues of typeless nomenclature, as an amateur entomologist
I don´t feel particularly threatened by their suggestions (naive as
they may be). And if, as Doug has mentioned, the authors have been
contacted and the ICZN or members therein intend to submit a comment
to the journal, then the discourse can only help to clarify the issue
and interpretation of the code to a wider audience. I can´t see this
as anything but good banter. Am I missing something?

In regards to the topic of typeless descriptions, and since we are
taking sides, if we strip away the emotional side of what people´s
real intentions may or may not be (discourse for psychologists) I
personally find that a picture, albeit a form of evidence, is not
direct evidence (i.e. it is not part of the type but an interpetration
of it, digital in this case). Being indirect it is not just biased but
also crystallized as it limits potential future data-acquisition
methods. So although it may be allowed as a type it is not a very
useful one other than meeting the minimum criterion for publication.

Best