[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue May 10 22:09:21 CDT 2016

Jason, the same can be said for many fossils. Indeed I believe that a rock fossil which was described as a new taxon of centipede turned out to be a piece of fern! I think that we need to be careful here. Nobody is advocating the willy nilly description of new taxa from photos, but in some cases where the species has distinctive external morphology and no specimens are to hand, or likely to be at hand in the near future, then it should be OK to describe as new from photo alone. I wouldn't suggest doing it with an aphodiine scarab, but some other insects may be OK. It actually does depend a lot on expert familiarity with the group concerned to make that call. The fact that other, "less experty" people might make bad calls should not necessarily kill the idea. Such people can already be active in taxonomy, without the need for photos.

Stephen