[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Daniel Leo Gustafsson kotatsu.no.leo at gmail.com
Tue May 10 22:15:12 CDT 2016

In chewing lice there are several examples of species being described
extremely poorly but with a photo of the holotype. In some cases, the
author of these species, when it was suggested that his species were
actually synonyms of already known species, but perhaps aberrant
(teratological) specimens, seems to have simply thrown away the specimen
but kept the slide with the ID number and everything on it. I spent way too
much time trying to find what was supposed to be the holotype on the slide
that was referred to in the original manuscript, and which had the name of
this purported species written on it (the only one in his collection),
before giving up and coming to the conclusion that he probably just
destroyed the specimen and transferred all the data to a new slide. He may
or may not have done that with species he described with illustrations as
well, but his collection is largely a mess, and parts of it has been
distributed to other collections without any known paper trail.

>From the downstream position of having to deal with species that are
essentially known only from photos, I cannot see any positive benefit from
a taxonomical point of view to allow new species to be described without at
least one specimen.

Cheers,
Daniel