[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed May 11 00:09:29 CDT 2016

Jason,
It is curious that you see the situation as a reduction of information/data, when it can equally be seen as an expansion of the available methods for taxonomy, and the utilisation of data where it exits, even if only in a photo. While more data is preferable, if you only have a photo, why waste it? Maybe you can wait for more data, but it might be a long wait! Hopefully if more data does come, after description, it can be used to confirm/refute the original hypothesis. The lack of a type specimen does not necessarily preclude that, I don't think.
Cheers,
Stephen