[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed May 11 00:17:17 CDT 2016

Hi again Daniel,
I think I have just replied to Jason on some of these points, but again: nobody is advocating the deliberate reduction of available data. If you only have a photo, and little or no prospect of getting additional material, then it is a waste of existing data (i.e. the photo) not to use it. Also, having a specimen might actually give you no more data (and possibly even less data) than a good photo does, as specimens tend to degrade. Anyway, there is nothing, to my mind anyway, that precludes more data turning up after description to help to confirm or refute the original hypothesis (i.e. that it is a new species). I think that you may be thinking of the worst case scenario, and basing your argument on that! By the way, I wasn't accusing *you* of "bashing amateurs", or of misrepresenting the Code! That comment was directed at the articles in Systematic Ent. and BZN.
Cheers,
Stephen