[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Frank T. Krell Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Wed May 11 09:06:43 CDT 2016

Rich wrote: "Ultimately, essentially all type specimens will probably be lost or destroyed (no preservation method is perfect -- the best we can likely hope for is that the preserved specimen remains extant for a few centuries)."

Given that we have specimens preserved (from Roman or Egyptian or even older times) that are preserved for thousands of years, I strongly disagree with your "few centuries". The problem is more in the political/administrative realm, but if Museum CEOs like yours resign before they can inflict severe and sustainable damage, then there is still hope.

Frank

Dr Frank T. Krell
Senior Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).