[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu May 12 18:47:10 CDT 2016

On 5/12/16 4:05 PM, JF Mate wrote:
> I just canĀ“t understand how the type
> specimen (which often times is the only specimen of a species) is not
> valuable.

It's not that a specimen isn't valuable, but that - *when there is other
information available* - it isn't literally essential. As others
including Stephen have noted, a compression fossil is functionally no
different from a digital image (2-dimensional, no DNA, hard to see all
necessary details), and yet the field of paleontology *relies upon
compression fossils* (which are pretty clearly inferior to digital
images), and I don't see anyone complaining about how their types are
unsuitable for the practice of good science, and advocating that we
ignore all the compression fossil taxa that have been described because
their types are 2-dimensional mineral representations, rather than
actual biological specimens.

You use what you have available. If that means not having a type
specimen, then the Code allows for it, the taxonomic community has lots
of practice dealing with it, and - until just recently - no one ever
complained about it. Species with no actual type specimens number in the
tens of thousands; thinking compression fossils are okay, and digital
images not, is obviously a double standard. Could it be because many of
the people complaining are accustomed to having DNA to work with? If so,
then that's setting the bar selfishly, rather than advocating a standard
applicable to *all* taxonomists.

Sincerely,