[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu May 12 23:14:13 CDT 2016

AArrrgghh ... now you are confusing me, Rich!

In the case of Marleyimyia xylocopae, a photo was used as a proxy for the type specimen, not in any "technical sense", or Code defined sense, but in everyday parlance. People may be misunderstanding the situation and thinking either that:

(1) the photo is the type (but it isn't according to Art. 73.1.4); or, more likely that

(2) there is no type. But there is a type specimen, it just isn't preserved, and we only know it via the photo). This is currently not disallowed by the Code.

Anyway, as you said the real issue is whether there ought to be a requirement in the Code for types to be preserved in some way. This would disallow future cases like Marleyimyia xylocopae. My opinion is no, there should not be such a requirement. My reasons are that the requirement can be met by diagnostically useless types and would prevent cases like Marleyimyia xylocopae, which are arguably cases of good worthwhile taxonomy. Of course we want to avoid diagnostically useless photos, but no more so than we want to avoid diagnostically useless preserved specimens. I can't see any way in which the Code could place requirements on how diagnostic a specimen must be in order to count as a type, so we just have to promote good taxonomy, regardless of method, and hope that nobody would be silly enough to describe from photo only if they did have a good diagnostic specimen at hand to be the type.

Stephen