[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species andthe perils of fast taxonomy

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Fri May 13 03:22:38 CDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Thorpe" <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>
To: "'JF Mate'" <aphodiinaemate at gmail.com>; "'Taxacom'"
<taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>; <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species andthe
perils of fast taxonomy

> "The question I would like to see addressed is whether the "preserved
> specimen" should be singled out as being required to exist at the time a
> new name is published (in some or all cases), and how a revised Code
> should be crafted to ultimately result in more good than harm"
>
> Trying again to address that very question, but with another question: Why
> should a preserved specimen be required in all cases, when (1) the
> specimen may be diagnostically poor or even useless; and (2) in cases,
> say, where there is no specimen but only a photo, the photo may be
> diagnostically sufficient for a good description? That is the question!
> Something of a dilemma: do we make a requirement such that we miss out on
> some good opportunities just to avoid some bad possibilities?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stephen

I remember Daphne Fautin explaining on this e-mail list how the organisms
she works on cannot be preserved successfully. Any changes in the Code
should also reflect such possibilities.

I think that we should always be aware of the old saying, "if it isn't
broken don't fix it". Sometimes trying to fix things just makes actually
makes them worse.

Adam.