[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat May 14 20:09:29 CDT 2016

Hi Jason,
I have no problem with a recommendation in the Code to the effect of "don't describe a new species from a photo only, unless the photo is diagnostically informative and no specimen is available to be preserved". The Code cannot prevent taxonomists from making bad judgement calls, either accidentally or deliberately ("vandals"). A ban on photo only descriptions would prevent good taxonomy, such as Marleyimyia xylocopae, and it would not prevent bad taxonomy in other ways (poor type specimen, etc.) I agree with you that we need as many sources of data tied to the type *as possible*, but if you only have a photo, then more data is not possible, but that shouldn't prevent us from making good use of the available data (i.e. the photo). You go with the data that you have. If you only have a photo, you go with that. If you only have a compression fossil, you go with that. If you have a specimen, then you use it. There needs to be ways of efficiently coping with problems resulting from lack of data. Such problems can result from a non-diagnostic type specimen. I alluded to an example previously (Sagola). What do you think is the best approach? (1) list names of uncertain identity as nomina dubia and ignore them, or (2) associate them with species on the basis of inconclusive evidence (i.e. the Sagola example). This is a real dilemma which I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of taxonomists.
Cheers,
Stephen