[Taxacom] I'm furious over article: On typeless species and the perils of fast taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat May 14 21:08:10 CDT 2016

I think we should understand that poor taxonomy reflects badly first and foremost on the taxonomist responsible, so any self-respecting taxonomist should be thinking twice before describing a new species based on inadequate data! I guess that poor taxonomy also makes it harder for subsequent taxonomists, and presumably that is the main aim of the "taxonomic vandal", who makes an idiot of themselves in the process! So, again, we need efficient ways to deal with problematic cases of various kinds. Again, I would be very interested in anyone's opinion on the nomina dubia issue, i.e. how much evidence is needed to associate a name with a species after it has already been described?

Stephen