[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun May 15 18:45:04 CDT 2016

Hi Margaret,

I would say that the gender is unambiguously masculine according to Art. 30.1 (particularly 30.1.4.3). However, the Code is generally increasing in ambiguity/vagueness overall, particularly in relation to maintaining "current usage". My own approach is to maintain "current usage" in such cases, but to note the potential nomenclatural problem. In other words, I think that it is better to note such problems, rather than to try to "fix" them oneself, particularly since it can influence "current usage" in ways which might make things even less clear. Given that it is a rather minor issue, we can live with the problem, but hopefully, one day, the ICZN might sort it out once and for all.

Cheers,

Stephen