[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun May 15 23:53:50 CDT 2016

Mandatory perhaps, but at least most/all lepidopterists ignore gender agreement. Anyway, my point was really that I can foresee "prevailing usage" becoming more important in future editions of the Code, so it might be prudent to hold back on making changes now that may be somewhat premature. Also, since gender determines spelling, and spelling is currently covered under "prevailing usage" provisions, things are perhaps not so clear! For example, gender disagreement does not appear to be listed under:

32.5. Spellings that must be corrected (incorrect original spellings).

Stephen