[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon May 16 01:46:18 CDT 2016

On 5/15/16 9:53 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> Mandatory perhaps, but at least most/all lepidopterists ignore gender agreement. Anyway, my point was really that I can foresee "prevailing usage" becoming more important in future editions of the Code, so it might be prudent to hold back on making changes now that may be somewhat premature. Also, since gender determines spelling, and spelling is currently covered under "prevailing usage" provisions
NO. Gender agreement is NOT affected, because it is not considered
"spelling" in the sense you think it is; gender changes have no effect
on spelling in the sense that the Code uses the term. As far as the Code
is concerned, "Euphoria fulgida" and "Euphoria fulgidus" are *spelled
the same* - that's why these two names, if belonging to different taxa,
would be treated as homonyms! And, if the former name were moved into a
masculine genus so it changed to "fulgidus", it would not be considered
to have had its *spelling* changed, only its *gender*. Since prevailing
usage applies to spelling, not gender, the distinction is important -
you're thinking of the vernacular sense, not the technical sense.

Sincerely,