[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon May 16 16:00:19 CDT 2016

Doug,

Your attempt to divorce gender from spelling doen't work!

32.3. Preservation of correct original spelling. The correct original spelling of a name is to be preserved unaltered, except where it is mandatory to change the suffix or the gender ending under Article 34 ...

I was never disputing 32.3, I was just questioning the growing influence of "prevailing usage" on spelling.

The Code glossary does include:

variant spellings
    Different spellings of specific or subspecific names that are deemed to be identical for the purposes of the Principle of Homonymy [Art. 58].

What is still unclear is whether "prevailing usage" provisions in the Code make a clear distinction between spelling and gender.

Suppose a new species was described as Aus pulcher. The epithets pulcher and pulchra differ only in gender. So, what is the original spelling for the nominal species? What is the correct original spelling? That depends on the gender of Aus. We want to be able to specify the original spelling. This is next to impossible if you try to exclude the gender!

Cheers,

Stephen