[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Wed May 18 13:03:48 CDT 2016

Hi Frank,

But of course you would say this, you are a card-carrying member of the
Eurocentric clique (or were  until you got your new passport).   Nothing
wrong with that, and that group has dominated taxonomy since it started,
but that is changing.  If it were proposed that we be required to follow
the grammatical rules of Chinese, I am sure you would fight it tooth and
nail.  There is no difference between the two.

Mike

On 5/18/2016 11:28 AM, Frank T. Krell wrote:
> Fortunately we don't waste time on anything else, do we?
> Living a life as a professional scientist, I must say the time invested in determining the gender of a few genera is negligible compared to SO MUCH other waste of time that gets to us on a daily basis.
> For me, gender agreement saves a lot of time because I do not have to look up the original spelling. Full stop.
> Now I stop wasting time on this... :-)
> Frank
>

> Dr Frank T. Krell
> Senior Curator of Entomology
> Commissioner, International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature
> Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
> Department of Zoology
> Denver Museum of Nature & Science
> 2001 Colorado Boulevard
> Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
> Frank.Krell at dmns.org
> Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
> Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
> http://www.dmns.org/science/museum-scientists/frank-krell
> lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab
>
> The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).

>>> dyanega
>>> phone: (951) 827-4315 (disclaimer: opinions are mine, not

mivie at montana.edu