[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Thu May 19 13:09:24 CDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 5:28 pm, Frank Krell wrote:
> For me, gender agreement saves a lot of time because I do not have
> to look up the original spelling. Full stop.

Uh...what?  If there wasn't gender agreement, we wouldn't be having
to deal with all of this nonsense because the original spelling
would simply be THE SPELLING.  And we wouldn't be wasting time
trying to determine if a word ending in -a is a feminine adjective
or a noun in apposition, or is a non-Latinized word, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, now that it's been the practice for 200 years, we're
stuck with this unholy mess and no easy way to fix it...