[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Thu May 19 17:59:14 CDT 2016

On 5/19/2016 12:09 PM, Karl Magnacca wrote:
> Unfortunately, now that it's been the practice for 200 years, we're
> stuck with this unholy mess and no easy way to fix it...
Although I can hear the nashing of traditionalist's teeth as I write
this, it is actually very easy to fix it, and we are not stuck with it.
The Lepidopterists have fixed it, they simply use original spelling.
The whole community has agreed to do this, and it works fine.  Since
there is no enforcement provisions in the Code, usage in the end
determines correctness.  All it takes is the will, and the execution is
very easy.

I do not condone doing it the way the Lep folks have, i.e. outside the
Code system, but it is a reaction to frustration with arcane and archaic
strictures from the dim dark past.

When Linneaus and Fabricius wrote, they wrote in Latin, so of course
they used Latin grammar regarding gender, just was we use English verb
agreement when writing in English.  The enshrinement of using grammar
from a language not being used is an artificial construct. There is
nothing about it that is inevitable nor required.

Mike

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection