[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri May 20 05:49:51 CDT 2016

Actually the way lepidopterists proceed today has been initiated by
Linnaeus himself. Among hundreds of butterfly specific names Linnaeus
did not use one single declinable adjective that would have to change if
placed in masculine or feminine genus. The lepidopterists have always
had a special role, since the very beginning on. This is not because
some folks in the past decades were lazy. This had initially been a
supradisciplinary decision taken in 1758.

So it would make sense to identify a mandatory change in a lepidopteran
name as a subsequent spelling, not as a mandatory change under Art. 34.
Possibly in some other less well-known disciplines we may have the same
situation, I did not research that.

I personally think that today the term "spelling" and its usage in
regulations involving prevailing usage (Art. 33) should consider changes
in the ending of adjectives, given that such changes are much more
important in the electronic age than they had ever been before. We
should think about inserting regulations in this direction. It would
make sense because it would give more stability to the name usages and
support the trend that only one set of letters is used for an animal in
a scientific name.

Francisco