[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 08:20:37 CDT 2016

I agree with David, databases can clearly be made in a way that can do
partial recognition, or online dictionaries would not work, including ones
such as Latin dictionaries that can recognise any form of a word. Names can
also be associated with multiple higher orders, including original
designations, so that searches for a species name will still get to the
correct taxonomic group even if the genus - species combination has changed
and hence possibly the spelling. It really is a matter of setting them up
not to do exact match but have enough information to do partial recognition.

Cheers, Scott

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM, David Campbell <pleuronaia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It shouldn't be hard to have electronic databases recognize that -us, -a,
> -um or -ensis, -ense or other common variations are the same word.  Such
> variation occurs in the existing literature, even if we were to freeze
> agreement at some point.  Similarly, various other misspellings need to be
> recognized, although in many cases it will take a competent taxonomist
> rather than a program to determine what are really different names and what
> are errors.  Data entry and optical character recognition will continue to
> introduce errors, especially with the apparent preference for crowdsourcing
> over hiring competence.
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Francisco Welter-Schultes <
> fwelter at gwdg.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Actually the way lepidopterists proceed today has been initiated by
> > Linnaeus himself. Among hundreds of butterfly specific names Linnaeus did
> > not use one single declinable adjective that would have to change if
> placed
> > in masculine or feminine genus. The lepidopterists have always had a
> > special role, since the very beginning on. This is not because some folks
> > in the past decades were lazy. This had initially been a
> supradisciplinary
> > decision taken in 1758.
> >
> > So it would make sense to identify a mandatory change in a lepidopteran
> > name as a subsequent spelling, not as a mandatory change under Art. 34.
> > Possibly in some other less well-known disciplines we may have the same
> > situation, I did not research that.
> >
> > I personally think that today the term "spelling" and its usage in
> > regulations involving prevailing usage (Art. 33) should consider changes
> in
> > the ending of adjectives, given that such changes are much more important
> > in the electronic age than they had ever been before. We should think
> about
> > inserting regulations in this direction. It would make sense because it
> > would give more stability to the name usages and support the trend that
> > only one set of letters is used for an animal in a scientific name.
> >
> > Francisco

> >> Although I can hear the nashing of traditionalist's teeth as I write
> >> this, it is actually very easy to fix it, and we are not stuck with it.
> >> The Lepidopterists have fixed it, they simply use original spelling.
> The
> >> whole community has agreed to do this, and it works fine.  Since there
> is
> >> no enforcement provisions in the Code, usage in the end determines
> >> correctness.  All it takes is the will, and the execution is very easy.
> >>
> >> I do not condone doing it the way the Lep folks have, i.e. outside the
> >> Code system, but it is a reaction to frustration with arcane and archaic
> >> strictures from the dim dark past.
> >>
> >> When Linneaus and Fabricius wrote, they wrote in Latin, so of course
> they
> [...]

Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo
Divisão de Vertebrados (Herpetologia)
Avenida Nazaré, 481, Ipiranga
04263-000, São Paulo, SP, Brasil
http://www.carettochelys.com