[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -ops

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri May 20 10:47:30 CDT 2016

Reality is that users of such names work every day with electronic
resources of any kind, mostly totally unfamiliar with the rules of
bioscientific names or the Latin language. Also many insider databases
do not display such functions. Such arguments involving expressions like
"it shouldn't be hard" work only in a theroretical world (and actually,
solving this problem can really be hard, and ugly expensive). Since at
least 10 or 15 years we have electronic databases, many of them online,
with search functions. The real life experience is that most have not
been made up in a way that they actually do partical recognition.

If you look for alba in an important resource like
http://www.faunaeur.org you only get alba and not albus and not album.

Even if you look on the electronic file of Sherborn's Index Animalium,
which in its printed version 100 years ago ignored the ending and listed
alba and albus as if they did not differ in spelling, you will not find
albus if you request alba.

http://www.sil.si.edu/digitalcollections/indexanimalium/TaxonomicNames/

This is a very typical example that illustrates the problem better than
any theoretical thought can do it. 100 years ago it was no problem to
ignore gender agreement, but today in the electronic age this has
changed dramatically. It is exactly the same content - but this function
of ignoring the ending has been lost in the process of converting the
information to a modern standard. You must come to the conclusion that
the ending is more important today than 100 years ago.

The argument "you could theoretically do something" is simply not useful
in the electronic age. This is why I disagree with you in this point. We
do not live on a dream planet and have to adopt our mechanisms to the
real life world. It is simply not possible the other way round.

Francisco