[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri May 20 11:57:56 CDT 2016

Many such important resources are confronted with the problem that once
established, their program cannot be modified any more a few years later
because nobody is there to do more than just maintaining the online
status and coping with server updates. Finding out exactly where in a
40,000 lines source code to insert such functions without touching other
functions is a challenge. Adding a few lines of source code is certainly
not the problem, the time consuming process is finding out where.

What I find really interesting is that the programmers of Index
Animalium must have known that Sherborn ignored the ending of adjectives
in the alphabetical listing. And even in such a situation they avoided
to figure this in the corresponding electronic program. They must have
asked themselves, why did Sherborn do this? Either they did not find the
correct answer (the importance to facilitate tolerant search when
looking for a specific name), or they did not know how to do this
technically.

Francisco