[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 12:09:47 CDT 2016

Now I have no idea which thread to reply to....

When I look at this issue I am thinking beyond just taxonomists, of course
we will search all the pertinent original publications for the information
we need. People who are not directly taxonomists do not. These others do
make checklists, websites, etc. This also goes for encyclopedia's,
including online ones such as Wikimedia. If they had access to a database
where they could get the correct names maybe there would be less mistakes.
Since we cannot be writing or advising everything that is written on
whatever species we deal with. Yes its a dream as Francisco put it, but it
would be nice if there was a global database coninuously updated and able
to do higher functions.

On source code, it will depend on how well it is written as to how hard it
is to find the right sections. Unfortunately writing good clear code that
is easy to follow is not commonplace. So in 40000 lines I know your pain.
However, if it were done, it would have to be done professionally to
minimize this issue.

Cheers, Scott

--
Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo