[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri May 20 12:29:48 CDT 2016

No Frank, I don't think it is a waste of time to discuss such issues
from time to time, because what we are doing here is to try to
facilitate life for users of scientific animal names. I would not do it
if I had not a result in mind. We learned that abandoning all rules of
gender agreement is confronted with too strong resistances in the
community, so my next step is looking for solutions that would find more
agreement in the community and no such resistance.

Users are not always experts and do not need to find the original
descriptions. They just need to find a name in a search request. We make
rules to make sure that they can find their name quickly. So if we make
a rule in the Code to say that Delias clathrata is correct, and that
Delias castaneus is also correct (both lepidopteran names are in
prevailing usage, in exactly these spellings, and only in these
spellings), we can at least contribute to avoid that some expert
suddenly argues to be in line with the Code and introduces either D.
clathratus or D. castanea - with the undesired result for all users that
from then on they face the danger of not finding their information
because they don't know that they have to search twice.

I would consider such a rule a helpful small step in direction of a
useful result.

Francisco