[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

David Redei david.redei at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:05:44 CDT 2016

The idea of dropping gender agreement turns up time to time, and usually
arguments like "*poor Asians (particularly Chinese), their language does
not have genders, it is so difficult for them to deal with the Greek-Latin
taxon names*" are mentioned as well. Interestingly, I have never heard any
Chinese colleague to complain against and call for dropping gender
agreement. Further, as far as I am aware, English nouns do not have gender
either, still I have never heard anybody to claim that gender agreement
should be dropped because it is too confusing for British, American,
Canadian or Australian zoologists. The major issue is not the mother tongue
of the authors but rather their awareness or ignorance. They are careful
and ignorant zoologists among Asians, Europeans and Americans too, the
careful ones will look after or ask help if they are unsure, the ignorant
ones will not care anyway. Modifying the system because there are ignorant
authors seems a bit weird to me.

The best would be if at least editors of journals would be familiar with
the basic rules, call the author's attention and request corrections of bad
names in the manuscript phase. Apparently it does not happen, I can see
dozens of very badly created Greek-Latin names published in several
journals, many in Zootaxa. One of the most bizarre monstrosity I have seen
recently is the genus *Shortcrowna* Li & Li, 2014 (Hemiptera), with
etymology as follows: "The name of the new genus is derived from the Latin
words short (short) and crown (crown), indicating the shape of its crown"
(Zootaxa 3764: 468). It is difficult to believe that it could pass review
and editing. The problem here certainly was not that the authors' native
language does not have genders, the problem was that the authors did not
even have a glimpse of the basic rules of forming names.

David Redei