[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:21:07 CDT 2016

I do not personally have an objection to gender agreement, and I am a
native English speaker whose language did away with gender centuries ago,
yes it did have it once. However, there are some arguments for removing it
that are more difficult to dispute. One of these is that something we
taxonomists have to realise and accept is that we are not the only users of
this nomenclature system. We may like to feel we are the ones that set it,
but there are many end users. One group of these end users are legislators
and conservation biologists. Changing names even the spelling has legal
ramifications for some species under the Governments of some countries. It
depends on how they do their endangered species legislation. Changing the
name of a species that is scheduled on an endangered species Act in some
countries requires an Act of Parliament for it to continue being afforded
full legal protection. If this happens because of some new taxonomic
hypothesis then everyone gets that and are fine with it, but if its
happening because someone wants to correct the spelling of a name to meet
something like gender agreement, and worse there are competing ideas on it
and the name goes back and forth for a while well that just looks petty. So
in the interests of meeting all users at least part way, I think changing
spelling of names should only be possible when there is a new taxonomic
hypothesis, eg the species has moved to a new genus. If it is just wrong
because no one checked or new understanding of the etymology of a genus
name means its gender is different then leave it all be, we should be able
to follow prevailing usage.

@David, shortcrowna  8-0 just wow.....

Cheers, Scott

--
Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo