[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sat May 21 11:17:35 CDT 2016

On 5/21/2016 11:03 AM, David Redei wrote:

>> Changing names even the spelling has legal
> ramifications for some species under the Governments of some countries. It
>> depends on how they do their endangered species legislation. Changing the
>> name of a species that is scheduled on an endangered species Act in some
>> countries requires an Act of Parliament for it to continue being afforded
>> full legal protection.

> Sorry, I cannot follow this. Let's suppose there is A-us b-us, a protected
> species. You say that changing this name is undesirable because some
> national laws might needed to be changed.

* does this mean legislators and courts are too stupid to understand
synonymy? In Canada there have been a number of provisions enacted that
before passage legislation must take into consideration various classes
of considerations, such as fiscal, well-being, and carbon balance, so
maybe we need to agitate for including nomenclature among these - "this
act protects the species in schedule A, whether known by the name
listed, or by any synonymous name."

I'm told there was a case in the 1970s when a defense lawyer
successfully argued that his client was smoking Cannabis ruderalis
rather then C. sativa, which provoked Agriculture Canada into a big
common garden study of variation in Cannabis.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/