[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Welter-Schultes, Francisco fwelter at gwdg.de
Sat May 21 18:32:16 CDT 2016

Being a scientist I tend to prefer arguments being based on scientific studies with falsifiable results.
Based the results of such studies I would like to make up my mind on the question whether gender agreement should be maintained in the future, and to which extent.
Such studies would have to analyse the experience we actually have. The question is: how successful is gender agreement in zoological nomenclature?

If something is totally unsuccessful I tend to regard it as an obstacle, rather than as a thing that is useful.

My own preliminary results of a few thousand molluscan names would suggest, gender agreement is partly successful, partly not.
The next step involves a closer look. Where exactly is gender agreement unsuccessful?
Is it possible to deliminate those situations?
If yes, then could we eventually add some provisions to the Code, well deliminated provisions that could help to make the situation more successful?

What I have often read here is that people (authors, journal editors, name users) should improve their skills in Latin grammar. For me this is not a good argument because those people already had enough time to do that, and the experience we all complain about is, they have not improved their skills. To me this suggests, they won't do that in the future.
So we have to find other solutions.

Cheers
Francisco

Francisco Welter-Schultes