[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sun May 22 16:49:20 CDT 2016

On 5/22/2016 4:50 PM, Welter-Schultes, Francisco wrote:

> It is mainly because it is useful to find information on a species by searching just for one single name. In astronomy they did not establish such a system, so that stars can have up to 10 names or more, and you need to request various times if you like to find something out on a certain star.
>
> Now "successful" is the answer to the question if this goal was achieved in the case of a certain species.

* to return to my original respelling of 'ops' on this thread - it's not
that hard to program gender or other errors in the term searched for - I
just googled "Caltha palustrus" and google came back with...

Showing results for Caltha palustris
Search instead for Caltha palustrus

...and if I'd included an author, google could have picked out what I'd
meant with an even more different spelling - so only getting the exact
spelling searched for is an artifact of a behind-the-times system.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/