[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Ivie, Michael mivie at montana.edu
Sun May 22 21:23:34 CDT 2016

David,

The return to original combination is the solution adopted by the Lepidopterist community, it is not the only one, nor possibly the best.  It is not me that has proposed that solution. I still dutifully follow the Code.  We already have the possibility to create authoritative lists as of a particular date, that reset the clock for some types of changes, and it could be that gender does not change after that date.

In your senario, the ecologist has lost interest and wandered off long before you get to the end of your explaination.  They really don't care, by and large, about our little name games (an ecologist's term, not my view).

It could be that no ending on a species epithet changes between 2020 and 2120.  Before that, we are stuck with the history we have.

Mike