[Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun May 22 21:41:41 CDT 2016

>The return to original combination is the solution adopted by the Lepidopterist community<

Er, no! They just don't bother with gender agreement, they don't return names to original combinations!

Stephen

On Mon, 23/5/16, Ivie, Michael <mivie at montana.edu> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Taxacom] ICZN - gender of genus-group name ending in -oops
 To: "David Redei" <david.redei at gmail.com>, "taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu" <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>

 David,

 The return to original
 combination is the solution adopted by the Lepidopterist
 community, it is not the only one, nor possibly the best.
 It is not me that has proposed that solution. I still
 dutifully follow the Code.  We already have the possibility
 to create authoritative lists as of a particular date, that
 reset the clock for some types of changes, and it could be
 that gender does not change after that date.

 In your senario, the ecologist
 has lost interest and wandered off long before you get to
 the end of your explaination.  They really don't care,
 by and large, about our little name games (an
 ecologist's term, not my view).

 It could be that no ending on a species epithet
 changes between 2020 and 2120.  Before that, we are stuck
 with the history we have.

 Mike