[Taxacom] whale struck by ship's bow

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 23:28:04 CDT 2016

Hi all,           I knew that marine mammals are injured or killed by boat propellers (both large and small), but I had never heard of one being struck by a bulbous bow.  I suppose this happens more often than we realize, but the carcass would rarely get stuck there long enough to be discovered in port:  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/endangered-whale-found-dead-on-bow-of-cruise-ship-entering-alaska-port/ar-BBtFlEg?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout
        There are apparently regulations that ships must reduce their speed in certain areas of the north Atlantic in order to reduce strikes on endangered right whales.  Not sure if there are such regulations in the northern Pacific.  http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/shipstrike/